Remove The Remaining 4 Torx Screws From The Xbox One Controller
4 additional Torx screws are located in the corners behind the handles of the controller.
Use your Torx Screwdriver to remove the 4 screws. Set them aside for when we reassemble the Xbox One controller.
This is the part where you could theoretically get away with using a flathead screwdriver. It doesnt work well, and it really takes some muscle to get the screws out. The worse thing is the screws might be damaged permanently, making putting an Xbox One controller back together very, very difficult.
I would highly recommend buying a cheap Torx Screwdriver set. This will guarantee that your screws stay undamaged and keep your controller together properly, along with allowing for future modifications. It also comes in handy for other Xbox and home DIY projects.
How To Take Apart Your Xbox One Controller
Whether you want to customise, tear it down, or replace a thumbstick, you need to know how to open your Xbox One controller
We put the Xbox One controller through a lot. Compatible with several devices as well as the Xbox One, this controller gets banged, dropped, and grimy. Hand grease, sweat, food, and other detritus can be found over the surface and in nooks and crannies.
Then there’s issues with the feedback motors, buttons, and thumb sticks. In short, your Xbox One controller needs looking after. To do this, you need to know how to take apart the Xbox One controller, clean it, repair it, and reassemble it.
Now You Know How To Clean Your Xbox One Controller
From simple exterior cleaning to cracking it open to clean inside, your Xbox One or Series S|X controller should now be clean.
We’ve given you everything you need to clean your Xbox One controller, except the materials. Be sure you have them on hand before you start cleaning. Keeping your game controller clean is something you can easily keep on top of with a quick wipe down. However, you should probably make a point of giving your Xbox One controller a deep clean once a month.
Once you’re done with your game controllers, it might be time to make your workspace clean and virus free.
You May Like: How To Turn On Cross Platform Fortnite
How To Take Apart The Xbox Series X
- On the back of the console, youll see one large sticker above the systems ports and another smaller warranty sticker below them. Peeling these away will reveal two screws that hold the back onto the console. All of the screws used throughout are T8, so youll need the appropriate tool to remove them.
- Once both screws have been removed, unclip the backplate and remove it to gain access to the components of the console. This should give you access to everything as well as the space you need to do some cleaning inside the console.
- If youd like to take it apart further, youll see three screws at the top of the console below the fan thats used to hold the fan in place. Simply remove these three screws and the fan will slide out.
- Your next step will be removing the base off the console. This can be done by leveraging a clip from inside of the case.
- Once the base has been removed, youll see a range of screws on the case holding in the rest of the components. From there, remove the covering plate for the disk drive by popping it out, along with the metal safeguard beneath.
- With the screws removed and the plate gone, youll now be able to unplug the cables and pull out the disk drive from the console.
- Once all the screws are removed from the base, youll be able to take the rest of the contents out of the console as one big piece.
Safely Disassemble Your Xbox One Controller For Easy Fixes
The Xbox One controller is generally accepted as one of the best video game controllers around, but they still break down and need repairs from time to time. While you can take apart an Xbox One controller without too much trouble, there are a few potential snags to be aware of, and you’ll also need a couple specialized tools that you may not already have laying around.
Also Check: Xbox One Won’t Pull In Disc
Reasons To Take Apart Xbox One Controller
If your Xbox Controller is not able to run there is definitely some problem. I hope you will try to fix it with the basic troubleshooting methods and have already updated the firmware.
You can take apart Xbox One Controller to do some more fixes. Here there are some reasons that lead to this type of problem.
- Drifting analog Sticks To solve this, you can clean the analog sticks and if necessary, you can replace them.
- Malfunctioning D-Pad To solve this, you can solve this problem by carefully pry up the tabs which are on the spring assembly. This will push down with more force, moreover, you can replace them if required.
- Inoperable audio jack You can check the jack is properly set up or connected, replace them if required.
- Sticking Buttons For this problem, you will need to clean it. You can use the canned air or any other method to remove the dust stick to it. It is possible after removing the circuit board assembly from the controller housing.
S To Take Apart Xbox One Controller
First, you need to take a tray or something to keep screws and other parts of the controller. You should not miss any of them.
- Remove the batteries first.
- Get the prying tool and slide it through the plastic seam on the grips.
- Apply some force with the tool and get rid of the grip.
- There are two grips. Do the same for the other one as well.
- After that, remove each of the screws.
- Once the screws are removed the Controller will come apart. Be careful with it when you pull it apart. If you do it too hard, the cables may get damaged.
- Get the T8 screwdriver and remove the five security screws. One of the screws is hidden behind the sticker of the battery housing.
- Now lift the back panel.
- Also, you can lift it apart from the main controller now.
Right now you can replace the thumbstick, D-pad, and other buttons at this stage. Now you have taken apart the Controller. You will be seen the PCB now and further repair may need some electronic knowledge. Now let’s go through some of the tasks that you can perform after disassembling the Controller.
Read Also: How To Factory Reset Xbox One
How To Take Apart Xbox One Controller Diy With Torx Screwdrivers
How to Take Apart an Xbox One Controller / xbox one controller disassembly Just like other devices that have ever existed,
your Xbox controller may experience troubles at some points.
The joystick might be stuck or the d-pad might get disordered.
In these cases, theres a chance that you will need to disassemble it in order to fix the item.
If you want to know how to take apart an Xbox One controller in easy and quick way, read the following guide.
This Video Shows Xbox One Assembling Process
Once you have completed the disassembly and repair, this video will help you put together a game console to its original state.
This information is provided for informational purposes only. We accept no liability for damage caused to your device while following the video instructions. Also note that if your laptop or any other device is still under warranty period, then in the process of dismantling the guarantee may be canceled because traces remain after disassembly and it violates the terms of the warranty period. Before disassembling, make sure that the warranty on your laptop has been over.
Ready To Game Remember To Wash Your Hands First
After cleaning your Xbox One controller inside and out, it makes little sense to let it get dirty again. You’ve taken the time and effort with a deep clean, after all.
So, rather than simply grab the controller and boot your Xbox One or Xbox Series console, stop. Instead of playing straight away, go and wash your hands thoroughly. No sink nearby? Use anti-bacterial gel designed for hands. If you’re gaming regularly, consider a gel intended for sensitive skin.
Enjoy your gaming session and strive to keep your controller clean. When you’re done, clean the controller with an anti-bacterial wipe and remember to wash your hands again.
S To Take Apart Your Xbox One Controller
Before you begin the process, ensure youve disconnected all cables from the controller and taken out the batteries from the battery compartment. Place your Xbox One controller on a flat surface with ample space, ideally a decently sized table.
You can now follow the steps below to take apart your Xbox One controller:
6. Similarly, lift and remove the faceplate and place it carefully aside. You now have access to the D-pad, analog sticks, and all the buttons.
Congratulations, you have now learned how to take apart and reassemble your Xbox One controller.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Airpods To Xbox One Controller
How To Take Apart A Microsoft Xbox One Controller
The process for opening the Xbox One controller is straightforward with the right tools.
- Remove the battery cover and any batteries
- Remove the grip plastic
- Unscrew the five Torx screws
- Lift the rear cover from the controller
- Lift the internals away from the front fascia
Below we’ll go through the steps in more detail. Note that opening a first generation Xbox Series X/S controller follows the same procedure.
Reasons To Take Apart Your Xbox One Controller
There are various reasons which require you to take apart your controller, ranging from simple cleaning to fixing issues with buttons or joysticks. Below are four possible reasons that warrant disassembling your Xbox One controller:
Once youve successfully taken apart the controller, you will have access to each of these components and more, and you can attempt repairs without getting into advanced techniques like de-soldering wires.
You May Like: Can You Download Apple Tv On Xbox
Why Take Apart An Xbox One Controller
If your Xbox One controller isn’t working right, and you’ve already and gone through some basic troubleshooting like checking the batteries, the next step is usually going to be taking the controller apart.
Here are some fixes that require taking apart your Xbox One controller, including advice on what to do after you’ve opened the controller up:
- Malfunctioning d-pad: Carefully pry up the tabs on the spring assembly so it pushes down with more force. Replace if necessary.
- Drifting analog sticks: Clean or replace the analog stick units as necessary.
- Inoperable audio jack: Verify that the jack is properly seated and making contact, and replace if necessary.
- Sticking buttons: Use canned air and other methods to remove gunk and other buildup after removing the circuit board assembly from the controller housing.
How To Take Apart Xbox One Controller: A Simple Tutorial
Tripboba.com – You may often experience inconvenient things like a stuck joystick or unruly d-pad on your Xbox One controller. This is usually where you start to wonder how to take apart Xbox One controller to fix it so that you can enjoy your games like usual.
So if you want to disassemble an Xbox One controller either to fix or clean the stick, here’s how you can go about it quickly and easily.
Also Check: My Xbox One Keeps Ejecting Disc
Remove The Xbox One Controller Handle Covers
The next step is to remove the handle covers from the side of the Xbox One controller. This will allow you access the torx screws to remove the front and back panels of the controller.
Id highly recommend using something like a small plastic trim tool so you dont damage the plastic on the controller.
If you dont happen to have a plastic trim tool, you can gently pry the plastic cover handles off with a small flathead screwdriver.
Note: This may damage the plastic finish on your controller.
The easiest way to remove the handles is to insert your plastic trim tool or flathead screwdriver at the base of the handle where the back, sides, and front of the controller molding all meets.
Once you get hold of an edge, gently pry it off the controller. You might hear a few snaps those are typically the clips releasing. Just make sure nothing is broken in the process.
You can always buy replacement parts controller parts on Amazon if you accidentally break parts and need to replace them.
How To Open The Xbox One Or Xbox Series X/s Controller
Before proceeding, ensure your Xbox One controller is powered off. Place it on a table or similar hard surface with the tools within easy reach.
Follow these steps to open the Xbox One controller.
Further disassembly at this stage requires some electronics knowledge so don’t proceed if you’re inexperienced with PCBs and electrical components .
Congratulations—you’ve successfully taken apart your Xbox One controller.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
Clean Your Xbox One Controller
Keeping your controller clean is highly recommended, whatever the circumstances. From hygiene steps to manage infection control to keeping the Xbox One controller buttons responsive, cleaning is important.
Microsoft recommends isopropyl alcohol for cleaning dirt use cotton swabs to clean difficult to reach areas. Most cleaning will take place around the plastic components. If you have a small vacuum cleaner, suitable for electronics, use this to collect any loose dirt that falls out of reach.
Once reassembled, use disinfectant wipes to deal with infection risks.
Clean Inside The Xbox Controller
The next stage is to clean the interior body of the Xbox One controller.
This means wiping around the buttons and lifting them off if necessary. The same applies to the D-pad and thumbsticks.
Shoulder buttons and triggers should also be cleaned. Take care here, as pushing in the wrong way can detach the mechanism. Similarly, the rumble motors should also be gently cleaned as these can pick up dirt and dust.
Read Also: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
How To Open An Xbox One S Console For Repair
One of the biggest benefits of consoles is their simplicity. In contrast to PC, a platform built with the goal of accomplishing any task, consoles are designed specifically for gaming. What you lose in flexibility you gain in hardware tailored for the experience and only one company making the parts.
Despite this closed ecosystem, sometimes there’s a reason to take a look inside your devices. While Microsoft strongly discourages users from opening Xbox One consoles, there are some valid reasons to whether performing minor tweaks or repairing a hardware issue outside of warranty. For those using Microsoft’s latest entry-level console, the Xbox One S, these are the steps to do so.
Warning: By opening an Xbox One, you will void your console’s warranty. This can be a risky activity for those new to opening/modifying electronics and is recommended only to those confident in doing so. Perform the following steps at your own risk, with the chance of damaging your Xbox One.
Four Reasons To Take Apart An Xbox One Controller
Your Xbox One controller gets a lot of action. As a result, it needs to be regularly maintained. Beyond occasionally wiping the buttons clean, you probably don’t do this.
However, maintenance to ensure long term performance from the controller requires you need to know how to safely take the Xbox One controller apart. This might be to:
Keep reading to learn how to open your Xbox One controller for cleaning and repairs. Note that these steps are specifically for Microsoft-produced Xbox One and Xbox One S controllers rather than later or third party devices. If you have a third-party Xbox One controller, these typically feature eight screws than can be removed with a small Philips screwdriver.
Having said that, you can use this guide to open a first generation Xbox Series X/S controller.
Also Check: Xbox One X Hard Reset