Fully Teardown Your Xbox One Controller
Want to know more about how your Xbox One controller works? Consider a full teardown, stripping the device down to just the PCBs. You might even take this a step further and detach the triggers, thumbsticks, buttons, and more.
Be aware that a further teardown will expose electrical components. As such, you will need to take precautions to deal with the risk of static electricity damaging your controller.
Going further, four thin wires can be found on the left and right side of the controller . Two wires on each side are for the rumble motor, while the other four connect the two PCBs. These can be de-soldered with care, but this is only really necessary if you’re stripping it down for replacement components.
Related: Best Soldering Irons for Beginners
The PCBs, meanwhile, can be detached from the interior plastic chassis by removing four small screws.
Take care labelling and annotating the procedure, however, or else you’ll end up with a controller you can’t play with!
What Is Xbox One Controller Drift
Your Xbox One controller has two analog sticks, or joysticks, that allow you to do a variety of things while you play. Usually, they work exactly how they’re supposed to. But when analog stick drift occurs, objects you’re controlling will move across the screen even when you’re not touching any buttons.
Complete Instructions To Apart Xbox One Controller
#1 Remove the Battery Cover from the back of the Xbox One Controller
- Switch back to the Xbox One Controller.
- Hold the Battery Cover and Slides it up to remove it. Keep the battery cover on the tray
- Now remove the Battery and empty the battery case.
#2 Open Both Side Grip Panels
- Pick up the flathead Screwdriver or a Spudger.
- Hold your Xbox Controller firmly.
- Start prying the Grip Panel from the Controllers other panels until its completely removed from the Xbox One Controllers.
- Do this for the second grip and keep both the grips safe into the tray.
- Dont be so hard on prying keep it smooths otherwise you will end up with a broken grip. And you will have to play like that only.
Wedge the screwdriver or spudger between the Controller and Grip seam.
Now that you have removed the Battery and Both Side Grip Panels its time to go inside the Xbox Controller. Just keep following the instructions.
#3 Unscrew the Front Faceplate Cover
#4 Pull off Back Panel from Xbox One Controller
The Back panel will automatically be pulled off once all the 5 screws are unscrewed and tap out from the Xbox Controller.
Keep the back panel in the tray. Now you will be able to see the motherboard and other parts inside the Xbox One Controller. Congratulation you are halfway through.
#5 Uncover Bumper Button Cover
#6 Remove Upper Mother Board from the Xbox Controller
#7 Remove the bottom motherboard from Xbox one Controller
Read Also: How To Connect A Xbox Controller To A Ps4
How To Take Apart Xbox One Controller In 2021 By Yourself
It is very usual and irritating that one of your controls got stuck or stops working. Most of the time, it is the D-Pad causing the problem. And sending the Xbox One controllers back to the Customer support for repairing/replacement will take time. That is also why you may be here to know how to take apart Xbox One Controller too.
Thinking to give a try to do it to yourself is the best thing you can do. But that is not as easy as opening and repair your power outlets. The Xbox One Controller is delicate and you need to be more careful while opening the Xbox One Controller. Lets take a look at how to take apart Xbox One Controller.
What To Do If Your Xbox One Controller Has A Button Jammed
If you have a button jammed, the most likely culprit is a rogue crumb thats worked its way between the controller face and the button. If youre able to implement the cleaning process outlined above, youll be able to dislodge anything stuck beneath the controllers buttons. If not, though, theres a problem inside your controller.
Once you take the controller apart, youll be able to really focus your cleaning on the button that is messed up. If youre still having trouble with any of your buttons, then the issue might be with the connection pad on the motherboard. In that case, we recommend seeking out a professional repair service.
You May Like: How To Turn Off Xbox Elite Controller 2 Pc
How To Take Apart Your Xbox One Controller
The Xbox One controller is an iconic piece of technology. Easily rated as the best controller out there, it provides a thoroughly enjoyable and smooth gaming experience, not just on the Xbox but also on PCs. Its no wonder then that it goes through a lot. Over time, your Xbox controller can build up dust and grime inside it or worse, develop malfunctions with its buttons, D-pad or thumbsticks.
Aside from trying basic troubleshooting tips like updating the firmware or replacing the batteries, theres not a whole lot you can do without taking your controller apart. You need access to its internals to try to clean any accumulated grime or fix issues with the components. Fortunately, you can disassemble your Xbox One controller without professional help and easily put it back together after cleaning or repairing it.
How To Takeapart An Xbox One Controllercorrectly
The best tool options to go with when youre about to disassemble the Xbox One Controller is by using Torx screwdrivers.
They are quite easy to use even for beginners.
You will need T6 and T8 screwdrivers then follow the steps below.
Recommended Reading: How To Change Your Profile Picture On Xbox App
How To Take Apart Xbox One Elite Controller
If you own the Xbox One Elite console instead, youll notice that the controller is different from the standard one. Now if you want to know how to take apart Xbox One controller of this series, then follow these steps:
1. Prepare Soldering Iro, iFixit Opening Tools, T6 Torx Screwdriver, and T8 Torx Screwdriver along with the controller.
2. Remove the side panels with a pry tool.
3. Remove the 5 Torx Security Bit screws.
4. Pop the back panel off by prying the panel next to the 3.5mm port.
5. Carefully remove the ribbon so that you wont rip the ribbon cable. You can pop the connector up to remove the ribbon easily.
6. Screws on controller motherboard by removing the 2 Torx screws.
7. Desolder wires from motherboard. Do it to the 4 wires on each side, these control the vibrations and the RT LT.
8. Remove the motherboard by pulling up from the “top” side of the controller on the sister board.
9. Remove the Home Button Cover. Be careful not to lose the sync button. Do so by prying the middle section up from the home button side. Note that this will also remove the LB and RB which is a single part.
10. Remove the controller daughterboard by unscrewing the 6 Torx screws.
11. Youve successfully dissembled your Xbox One Elite Controller.
Why Does My Xbox One Controller Drift
If your Xbox controller is broken and you’re experiencing joystick drift, there are a few possible causes. One is something as simple as low batteries. A more common cause is dust or debris inside your controller. Over time, that grime can build up and affect the electrical components.
Analog stick drift can also be caused by damage to your controller, either from someone dropping it or excessive wear and tear. The potentiometer, a part connected to the joystick that’s responsible for sending movement signals to your console, is an especially sensitive pieceâa broken or defective one is likely to result in this issue.
Also Check: How To Join Servers On Minecraft Xbox 360
How To Take Apart Xbox One Controller
In this section, we will show you how to take apart Xbox One Controller.
Before going ahead, it is recommended to work on a tray to prevent screws or other parts from falling on the floor or getting lost.
Now, here is the tutorial on disassembling Xbox One controller.
When all steps are finished, you have successfully disassembled Xbox One controller.
Besides knowing how to take apart an Xbox One controller, you also need some basic information of Xbox One controller. The Xbox One controller is composed of three parts, including the front faceplate, the body with circuitry and the backplate with the battery housing. So, when you disassemble Xbox One controller, you should be very careful and do not lose any part of the controller.
How To Fix Xbox One Controller Drift
If you play a lot of Xbox OneÂ®, you’ve probably heard about controller drift, which causes your character to move around the screen completely on their own. If you aren’t familiar with it, imagine playing Call of DutyÂ® and trying to escape the enemy, then watching your avatar run into danger on their own. This is frustrating and can make games nearly impossible to play.
At Asurion, our experts help millions of customers get the most out of their tech and resolve their device problems, like finding the best gaming monitors or repairing an Xbox that won’t turn on. Here’s their guide on how to fix Xbox One controller driftâand what causes it.
Don’t Miss: Gta 5 Usb Mod Menus
S To Take Apart Your Xbox One Controller
Before you begin the process, ensure youve disconnected all cables from the controller and taken out the batteries from the battery compartment. Place your Xbox One controller on a flat surface with ample space, ideally a decently sized table.
You can now follow the steps below to take apart your Xbox One controller:
6. Similarly, lift and remove the faceplate and place it carefully aside. You now have access to the D-pad, analog sticks, and all the buttons.
Congratulations, you have now learned how to take apart and reassemble your Xbox One controller.
How To Cancel Origin Access Account Subscription
There is a very simple and easy to follow method for you to follow in order to learn how to take apart Xbox One controllers and then put them back together again.It really does not take long at all and you will find that it is actually much safer to take this route rather than trying to take apart the pieces on your own.If you follow the simple steps below then you will be able to successfully complete the task of how to take apart Xbox One controllers.
Don’t Miss: Scosche Flytunes Xbox One Bluetooth Dongle
How To Open An Xbox One Console
This article was written by Jack Lloyd. Jack Lloyd is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. He has over two years of experience writing and editing technology-related articles. He is technology enthusiast and an English teacher. This article has been viewed 319,449 times.
This wikiHow teaches you how to open your Xbox One console’s internal casing. Doing this will void your warranty. This article will not teach you how to open an Xbox 360 console.
Why Take Apart An Xbox One Controller
If your Xbox One controller isn’t working right, and you’ve already and gone through some basic troubleshooting like checking the batteries, the next step is usually going to be taking the controller apart.
Here are some fixes that require taking apart your Xbox One controller, including advice on what to do after you’ve opened the controller up:
- Malfunctioning d-pad: Carefully pry up the tabs on the spring assembly so it pushes down with more force. Replace if necessary.
- Drifting analog sticks: Clean or replace the analog stick units as necessary.
- Inoperable audio jack: Verify that the jack is properly seated and making contact, and replace if necessary.
- Sticking buttons: Use canned air and other methods to remove gunk and other buildup after removing the circuit board assembly from the controller housing.
Also Check: How To Connect Xbox To Wifi Without Tv
Why Take Apart Your Xbox Controller
Even though, now know how to take apart Xbox one controller. But, why would you want to do so? If your analog sticks are drifting or your D-pad is malfunctioning, you may wish to disassemble your Xbox One controller to solve these problems. Taking apart your Xbox One controller is a great way to add new features and personalize it even more. You may, for example, add LEDs to the controller.
The Xbox One controller gets lots of use. Thus, regular care is required. In addition to wiping down the buttons regularly, you should clean your controller internally once in a while. You can use canned air or any other method to clear the dust from your controller after removing the circuit board assembly from the controller shell.
Note: After reassembly, your Xbox One controller should work correctly regardless of whether you cleaned or repaired it. If this doesnt work, you might want to consider purchasing a new controller or using alternative ways.
Reassemble An Xbox One Controller
When you’re satisfied the Xbox One Controller is ready to use again, simply follow the instructions above in reverse to reassemble the device.
Whether you’ve cleaned it or made a repair, once reassembled your Xbox One controller should be working as normal once again. If not, consider buying a replacement controller, or looking at other troubleshooting steps.
Don’t Miss: What Is Mic Monitoring On Xbox
Reasons To Take Apart Xbox One Controller
If your Xbox Controller is not able to run there is definitely some problem. I hope you will try to fix it with the basic troubleshooting methods and have already updated the firmware.
You can take apart Xbox One Controller to do some more fixes. Here there are some reasons that lead to this type of problem.
- Drifting analog Sticks To solve this, you have to clean the analog sticks and if necessary, you can replace them.
- Malfunctioning D-Pad You can solve this problem by carefully pry up the tabs which are on the spring assembly. This will push down with more force, moreover, you can replace them if required.
- Inoperable audio jack You have to check the jack is properly set up or connected, replace them if required.
- Sticking Buttons For this problem, you will need to clean it. You can use the canned air or any other method to remove the dust stick to it. It is possible after removing the circuit board assembly from the controller housing.
S To Disassembling The Xbox One Controller
Follow the steps below to take apart Xbox One controller
Also Check: Gta 5 Usb Mod