Find Out Everything You Need To Know About The Xbox Family Settings App And How It Could Help Your Households Gaming
If youve got kids, then you know full well that screen time isnt bad for them, but its still important to keep an eye on it.
Lots of us grew up playing games and for many of us thats not done us any harm, but its still important to make sure that kids get a well-rounded array of experiences. No, that doesnt mean just playing Halo but also playing Viva Pinata .
Instead, we mean that sometimes you have to impose rules. After all, thats one of the main things you should be doing as a parent. Its not always easy to enforce though, and Microsoft knows that.
Stay Signed Into Secondary Xbox
When you designate another console as your home Xbox, you will be required to stay signed into what is likely your own, personal Xbox to download and play games. This is because Microsoft needs to do a handshake to make sure youre still you despite being on another Xbox. But once youre signed in, any profile on that secondary console gets access to everything too.
If you sign out or in some other way lose your active internet connection and try to access a game, the Xbox will give you a message that tells you that the person who bought it needs to be signed in. Otherwise, everything should work smoothly, including all of your saves and Quick Resume states.
To get your games from your friend or family members accounts, have them repeat all of these steps . When youre finished, youll have access to both your own library of games and theirs.
Get Reminders To Take A Break
Some nights I sit down to play some Forza Horizon, and before I know it, it’s been three hours and I haven’t moved. It’s important to take regular breaks to give your hands, eyes, and back a rest, and your Xbox can remind you to do so at regular intervals. Visit Settings > Preferences > Break Reminder and set the timer for your desired interval and take your Xbox’s advice when it reminds you to get up. Ergonomics experts recommend more frequent breaks, so 30 minutes is the best setting here. It’s tempting to keep pushing through, but your body will thank you.
Recommended Reading: How To Broadcast On Xbox One Twitch
Things To Keep In Mind When Using Xbox Game Share
On top of making sure you absolutely trust the other person using your account, there are a few other things to keep in mind when giving game sharing a go.
- Game sharing only works between two accounts. This means that game sharing is limited to only one other person. You do have some leverage since Xbox does enable your account’s home Xbox to be changed five times a year. You can swap out who you share with up to five times a year.
- Microsoft can block it at any time in the future. While it probably won’t happen any time soon, be aware of this and anticipate a day where you may be unable to Game Share with friends.
- Physical copies of games will not work with game sharing since those game will only work on the console the disc was inserted into.
With all of that out of the way, you can now grab a friend to expand your library of games and see if you can find a game you might have otherwise overlooked.
Things To Be Aware Of When Game Sharing On Xbox One
While sharing your games library with a friend is brilliant, there are some downsides and potential risks. We’ve got the main points to consider:
- Only share with a trusted friend – this one might seem obvious, but as you’re essentially handing your account to another person, make sure that person isn’t likely to abuse the account.
- Microsoft could block game sharing – while Microsoft has allowed game sharing for a long time, it’s possible that it could be blocked in the future. Try to split game purchasing evenly so if access is ever blocked both parties will have an equal share of games on their profile.
- Game sharing is digital only – If you like owning physical copies of games, this isn’t going to work well with game sharing. Physical games that come on disc will only work on the console the disc is inserted into.
- Limited to two people – Game sharing on Xbox One is limited to two people: you and your friend. You can’t share your account with more than one person. Your account’s home Xbox can be changed five times each year, so if you change who you’re sharing with you have some breathing room to change your mind.
That’s all the info you need to know about game sharing on Xbox One and Xbox One X. Follow these steps and you and a friend will suddenly find themselves with much larger libraries of games.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. See our terms & conditions.
You May Like: How To Change Xbox Name On App
How Often You Can Switch Your Home Xbox
Switching your Home Xbox is limited to five times a year, so be mindful of that if you move between units often.
You can find how many Home Xbox switches you have remaining by going to Settings > General > Personalization > My Home Xbox > Learn More. Then, scroll down to the “Number of switches” tab in the menu.
How Do I Stream Discord Browser
Youll need to use the desktop or Chrome browser client to watch Discord streams. First, open Discord and enter the server where you want to stream, then open the game you want to stream. If the game is already recognized by Discord, click the Go Live button in the bottom left near your username and avatar.
You May Like: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
How To Set Up Xbox Game Share
Setting it up requires you to ask a friend for their email and you to give them your email or phone number as well as your password. So be sure that you absolutely trust this friend not to abuse the account for their own means. Setting game sharing up on an Xbox console, regardless of whether you’re game sharing on an Xbox One or Series X is as follows.
- Open the guide by pressing the Xbox symbol on your controller
- Go to the sign-in option
- Select ‘add new’
- Now enter in your friend’s account email and password if you got it from them. If they are with you physically then they can do it if they wish to maintain privacy
- Look over the privacy summary statement thoroughly if you wish and then select ‘next’
- Set your sign-in and security preferences
- Press the Xbox button to open up the dashboard and select the ‘home’ option to return to the home screen
- Now scroll left to where you can select gamertags to select your buddy’s gamertag to sign into the account
- While sign into your buddy’s account, open the guide with the Xbox controller and select the system menu
- Go into settings, then personalization and then select “My Home Xbox”
- Choose the ‘make this my home Xbox’ to designate the console you are using as your home Xbox
Repeat the above steps for the other Xbox and then sign back into your own accounts to be able to maintain the other account’s games.
How Many Accounts Can I Gameshare With
At the moment you can only mark one console as your primary account the clue is in the name meaning this is only really available for two people to get the full perks.
Get involved in the conversation by heading over to our and pages. To stay up to date with the latest guides, news, and reviews, follow The Loadout on and Steam News Hub.We sometimes include relevant affiliate links in articles from which we earn a small commission. For more information, click here.
Recommended Reading: Mod Gta 5 Online Xbox 360 Usb
How To Gameshare On Xbox
Gameshare on Xbox is a simple process that allows you to play digital games from your friend or family members account. You can even play the games together online and share a single Xbox Live Gold subscription. The process is easy, but has slightly confusing terminology. Once you have it set up, though, you can basically forget it and enjoy all the benefits.
Setting Up A Home Xbox
To understand how Xbox gameshare works, you have to understand what a home Xbox is. Your home Xbox is the Xbox console you choose that doesnt require your Xbox Live profile to be signed in on an active internet connection. So for the purposes of gamesharing, your home Xbox becomes the one that houses the shared version of your account. So make sure it’s someone you trust.
The first step to this requires you to access the Xbox console that’s going to enjoy the benefits of your shared account. For some people, this might require giving a friend access to your account information so they can sign you in on their Xbox console.
Then, on that same second console, you need to head into the Xbox Settings menu, General, Personalization, and finally My home Xbox. Only one account can claim a particular console’s “home Xbox” status at a time, so when you enable it for this secondary account, it will automatically disable the home Xbox status for any other account the console is tied to. Once its enabled, all of your games, including Xbox Game Pass games, will be available to download and play for any profile on the home Xbox. Theyll also get the benefits of Xbox Live Gold multiplayer if you have an active subscription.
In simpler terms: The goal here is essentially to give a friend or family member your “home Xbox” status, which means they can sign into their account on that console and access any games or features that belong to you. But that creates an inescapable catch….
Don’t Miss: Can I Connect Airpods To Xbox
How To Set Up Your Home Xbox
The process of setting up your home Xbox, which gives your friends or family access to your games on your machine, is extremely simple and only takes a minute. Simply follow the instructions below.
- On your Xbox home screen, click on your profile pic in the upper-left corner or press the Xbox button on your controller.
- Select the System option in the row of icons along the top of the menu.
- In the System menu, choose Settings.
- Scroll down to and select the Personalisation option.
- Select the My home Xbox option.
READ MORE: How to gameshare with a friend on Xbox One
Multiple Xbox Ones In Same Home
The first time you sign in to an Xbox One and save your password, that console becomes your home Xbox. The console designated as your home Xbox is where you can share games and some content with others who sign in to that console with you. Never share your password or account sign in info.
Home Xbox switches are limited to five per year.
What can be shared
What cant be shared
Account specific items may not be able to be shared. Some examples are:
- In-game content purchased within the game with in-game currencies like Minecraft Skin Mashups or Halo REQ packs
- In-game currency such as Minecraft Coins
Certain pre-order bonuses and special edition content falls into these categories, so you may not be able to share those items as they can only be redeemed once from the account of the person who purchased the game.
On your home Xbox, you can play downloaded games while traveling, or in the event of a network or service outage. You’ll need to ensure that your console is designated as your home Xbox before you go offline. For more info, see Using Xbox One offline.
If you have more than one Xbox One console, or if you sign in on multiple consoles, we recommend you designate the most frequently used console as your home Xbox.
Note You can have only one home Xbox at a time. You can share purchased games and Gold with others only on your home Xbox. You get 5 switches per year. Customer support cannot offer additional switches.
You are xbox A
Read Also: Gta 5 Story Mode Mods Xbox One
How To Find Your Pins
Your full list of pinned games and apps is stored on a secondary home screen. There are two quick ways to access it.
What Is The Xbox Family Settings App
The app was announced on May 27th in a blog on the Xbox Site. It explains that the app empowers parents and caregivers to manage their childrens gaming on Xbox consoles through their mobile device.
It includes features like:
- Screen time limits set limits for each day of the week, for example, you have the ability to allow for more time on the weekends or reduce time during the school week
- Content filters set filters based on the age of each child an 8-year-old can only access games rated E, and will be blocked from accessing titles that are too mature
- Play and communication settings block all access to play and communication with other players, limit access to friends only or grant permission for older children to play and chat with everyone
- Activity reports view daily and weekly activity reports for each child to understand how they are spending their time on Xbox
All of that is from the blog too, but the gist of it is that you can better monitor your kids online and keep them safe.
Following the apps release, Microsoft has added new features that reflect feedback from testing. These are:
- Accept or decline friends your child wants to add
- View and manage your childs friends list
- Proactively grant your child more screen time
Recommended Reading: How To Play Xbox 360 On Laptop With Hdmi Cable
How To Gameshare On Xbox Series X
Want to lend your friends your digital games? Here’s how to use Xbox Gameshare
Friendship is magic, but so is sharing the best Xbox Series X games with friends or family via the sorcery of Xbox Gameshare.
Xbox Gameshare lets you share games and any benefits of your Gamepass or Xbox Gold subscriptions with any user on your primary Xbox. While generally this means you can designate the Xbox in your lounge as your primary console and let other people in your house play on their own account, its possible to set your primary Xbox as a different one to the one you do most of your gaming on, and let friends elsewhere access and play your digital games.
Were a long way from the Xbox 360 days of taking a game you like to a friends house for them to play, but this will let you take advantage of that one friend who always has the latest games, just like the old days. Providing they are willing to be your designated sharer, of course. Read on, and well talk you through setting this up so you can dive into the best of your pals digital collection.
Game Sharing With Home Xbox Set On Xbox One X Not Working
Lets see if I can explain it for you.
No matter what console an account/profile is signed into it will always be able to play its games and use any subscriptions it has on the account.
Each profile can set ONE console at a time as its home console and any other profile on that ONE console can play any game that other player owns and use any subscriptions that player has on its account.
So in your case you said you set your daughters Xbox as your profiles home xbox so her Xbox is the ONLY xbox that ANY other profile when signed in can play any of your games and use any of your subscriptions.
While you have your xbox set as her home xbox if she has purchased any digital games on her account you would be able to play ANY of her games.
The ONLY way for her to play your games on your xbox would be for you to be signed in at the same time as her profile is signed in.
This is how the Home Xbox/Game Sharing is setup to work. and is working as designed.
Hope this helps explain things a little more and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Read Also: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
Pick Up Where You Left Off With Quick Resume
When Microsoft announced the Xbox Series X and Series S, it made a big deal about Quick Resume, a new feature that allows you to switch between games with lightning-fast speed, picking up right where you left off. You don’t actually have to do anything special to use this featureit just works.
Open the Guide menu while in-game and select another title you want to start playing. The first game will be suspended and you can move back and forth between multiple games. When you select a suspended game, you’ll see a Quick Resume banner in the corner as it loads in seconds. It does, however, have a few quirks and caveats, which you can read about here.