Points To Remember For Xbox One Game Sharing
- Make sure that the sharing of accounts is a sensitive matter, and someone else can use it in a wrong manner. Since the payment card is also attached to your credentials, you may lose money from the account. Hence, you shall gameshare on Xbox One with the trusted and understanding friend.
- In case you want to play a game of whose physical copy is available, you cannot gameshare it on Xbox One. Only digital games are allowed for the same.
- Both friends can enjoy the same game at the same time on their respective consoles.
- Gameshare on Xbox One is limited to two people. No single account can be shared with more than one person.
- My Home Xbox can be changed only 5 times in a year. So if you are planning to switch it multiple times, keep a count of the same fact.
What You Need To Begin Gamesharing On Xbox One
Before you can enable gamesharing on your console, each person needs the following:
- An internet connection for logging into the Xbox network online service.
- One Xbox network account for each user. This is the account you use to buy digital video games on an Xbox 360 or Xbox One console, in addition to movies and apps from the Microsoft Store. If you’ve ever gone online on your Xbox console, bought digital games, or have a friends list, you already have your account set up, and you don’t need to create another one.
How To Share Xbox One Games With The Family With Multiple Consoles
It is not uncommon to have several consoles in the same family. One for the kids and one for the parents. With this in mind, Xbox one has introduced the game sharing feature. This feature allows parents to avoid buying multiple copies of games and paying twice. Microsoft accounts have strong family features that cover all PCs, and Xbox allows parents to monitor their childrens activities. However, sharing games is slightly different. This guide will give you an overview of how to share Xbox One games with the family across multiple consoles.
Microsoft allows you to mark your main console as My Home Xbox. When you connect to a new console, it is automatically set as Home Xbox. We will learn how to use this feature to share games.
When you purchase content or games on My Home Xbox, you can share games and other downloadable content from the store with anyone who connects to this console. Its comparable to the PC experience. Plus, you can also share your Xbox Live Gold subscription with family members who connect to the same console.
Before moving to a multi-console scenario, we should learn how to configure your main console as My personal Xbox.
You May Like: Does Game Pass Come With Xbox Live
File Explorer On Xbox One
I still see the File Explorer installed on my Xbox One . If it isn’t visible under Apps , have you checked the Ready to install section or searching for it in the Microsoft Store?
Another alternative app that may help you out is the VLC app which you should be able to find in the Microsoft Store if you don’t already have it installed.
Important Things To Remember
Gamesharing and Home Consoles can be confusing, even for the experienced Xbox One user. Here are some important facts to keep in mind:
- The phrase “Home Console” doesn’t mean the console you have in your home. It’s a specific setting you assign to an Xbox One console. Your Home Console can be your personal Xbox One you use daily at home, but it could also be a friend’s, a relative’s, or someone else’s.
- You’re only allowed to have one Home Console at a time.
- The Home Console setting can only be changed five times a year.
- If you make your friend’s console your Home Console, you can still buy, download, and play media and video games for whichever Xbox One console you’re logged in on, including your own personal Xbox One at home.
- Any Xbox One games or media you purchase with your account will automatically be available for anyone playing on your designated Home Console, even if you’re logged out.
- Anyone using your designated Home Console can’t access your account information, password, payment information, etc., as long as you log out of that console after making it your Home Console. It will still be your Home Console after you log out. Users gain access to your purchase library of digital content.
Also Check: How To Connect Xbox To Hotspot
How To Gameshare On Xbox One: Share Xbox One Games With Friends And Family
Want to know how to gameshare on Xbox One? Then you’ve landed on the right page. While lending physical;Xbox One games to your friends and family is pretty straightforward, it’s somewhat more difficult to share your digital Xbox One library with others.
But after all, sharing is caring and allowing someone else to access your Xbox One games library is a great cost-cutting method that allows your friends and family to play the games you own but they don’t . What’s more, you can play the same game at the same time without hassle.
Interested in sharing your Xbox games with others? Then read on for our simple steps on how to gameshare on Xbox One.
- How to gameshare on PS4: share your PS4 games with friends and family
- Xbox Series X: release date, design, specs and launch titles
- PS4 vs Xbox One: which gaming console is better?
Things To Consider When Gamesharing On Xbox One
You should know a few important points about Xbox gamesharing before you decide to do it. While the process is safe in theory as long as you do it with a trusted friend, it has some caveats you should know before you start:
- Gamesharing only works for digital games. If you want to play a game that your friend has a physical copy of, you’ll need the disc. Of course, if they let you borrow the disc, they can’t play the game at the same time.
- When gamesharing, Xbox Live Gold benefits become available to everyone on the console, so you can take turns subscribing with your friend.
- As an added bonus, you can gameshare titles from Xbox Game Pass too.;This expands your game collection drastically, and you can split the cost of a subscription between the two of you if you like.
- You can’t usually share account-specific items. These include in-game currency, single-use pre-order bonuses, or items bought with in-game purchases.
- Both of you can play a shared game at the same time.
- You can only change the My home Xbox setting five times per year. This period starts when you make the first change, so take care not to change it too often. Only set your home Xbox once you’ve understood everything about the process.
Thankfully, after setting up gamesharing, you can each change your account password and gamesharing will still work fine . Just don’t change the Home Xbox setting and you’ll be fine.
You May Like: How To Stream Xbox On Pc
How Does Gamesharing Work On Xbox Series X Or S
Gamesharing works based on the way that Xbox consoles handle digital purchases. When you purchase and download a game to your console, other users of that console are also able to play that game even if they arent logged into your account. This is possible because every Xbox user is able to set one Xbox as their home console, where downloaded games are available to everyone who has access to that console.
In addition to being able to access games that you have purchased on your home console, you can also download and play them on any other Xbox by signing into your account. When you do that, only you are able to play those games: other users of the Xbox will receive an error message if they try to play.
Gamesharing takes advantage of this by having you set your friends Xbox Series X or S as your home console. You can then log out of that console, allowing them to sign into their own account, then download and play any game you have purchased. You then sign back into your own Xbox, which is no longer your home console. Since youre logged in, you can download and play your games there.
Play Video Games With Family And Friends Anywhere
- On the Xbox One guide, select Settings >Personalization >My home Xbox>Home Console.
- Perform those steps on your friend’s console, so they can access your game library.
- You can only have one Home Console at a time.
This article explains how to use the gamesharing feature on Microsoft Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X to share their digital video game libraries with each other without being online at the same time or in the same physical location.
Recommended Reading: Why Does My Xbox Keep Shutting Off
Things You Should Know Before Gamesharing
The process comes with a few risks. Your friend will be able to make purchases through your account on the Xbox Store, so be careful about what information you save on your account. We highly recommend you only set up gamesharing with a trusted friend or family member. That way to wont have to worry about them making purchases without your permission.
If you lose your internet connection, you wont be able to access your digital game library unless youve identified your Xbox One as your home Xbox. Other users on your console also wont have access to your games or Xbox Live Gold subscription if it isnt your home Xbox.
Any time you switch to a new Xbox One or upgrade to an Xbox One X, you will have to repeat the whole process over again. Also, keep in mind that you can only change your home Xbox five times annually before Microsoft cuts you off from any more changes. This prevents you from frequently switching accounts with your friends to share their games. To ensure you wont get locked out of your account due to changing your home Xbox, pick one friend to switch with periodically before changing your settings.
Using An External Hdd
Alternatively, if you dont want to use Network Transfer, you can move all your current Xbox One games onto an external hard drive and transfer them to your new console manually.
To move a game to external storage, find the game you want to move in your library, and press the menu button on your controller. Select the “Manage game and add-ons” option, and from here you can move or copy the game to your external storage. Your Xbox One generation and earlier games can now be played from this external storage if youd like, or transferred to your new consoles internal storage to make the most of the new speedy SSD.
You May Like: How To Take Apart Xbox Elite 2 Controller
Can You Share Games In A Family Group
Unfortunately, no. Microsoft introduced the Family Group as something similar to Apples Family Sharing. The only difference; you cant share purchased content. Microsofts Family Groups purpose is a monitoring service for households with younger children.
You can set up time limits, purchase limits, and content filters for other members of the group.
How To Gameshare On Xbox One
Now that you’re signed in on your friend’s Xbox One, press the Xbox button on the controller again. When the menu pops up, go to ‘system’, then ‘settings’ and finally ‘personalization’.
In the ‘personalization’ menu, select ‘my home Xbox’. This will register your friend’s Xbox One as your account’s default console, allowing their Xbox One console to access your Xbox One games library – so they can sign into their own account and still have access. If you check your friend’s Xbox One games and apps, your own library should sit alongside theirs, ready to install.
To access your friend’s Xbox One games library, repeat the same steps on your home console, but this time with your friend signing into your Xbox One.
This method not only shares your Xbox One games but also your Xbox Live Gold membership.
To register your own Xbox One console as your home Xbox, follow the steps above on your own console.
Also Check: When Does The Xbox Series X Release
What Content Can Be Shared With Xbox Gameshare
Gamesharing gives other users access to all of your Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One digital video games in addition to any paid subscription services such as Xbox Live Gold, Xbox Game Pass, and EA Access. If that’s not cool for you, you could consider gifting a game to your friend or family, so you don’t have to share your services.
Giving someone else access to your Xbox Live Gold subscription can be very beneficial, as this service is needed to play Xbox video games online. If you’ve granted someone else access to your Xbox Live Gold subscriptions by making their Xbox One console your Home Console, you can still enjoy the benefits of this subscription service on whichever console you’re logged in to at the same time.
How To Play Video And Music Files On Your Xbox One
Chris Hoffman is Editor-in-Chief of How-To Geek. He’s written about technology for over a decade and was a PCWorld columnist for two years. Chris has written for The New York Times, been interviewed as a technology expert on TV stations like Miami’s NBC 6, and had his work covered by news outlets like the BBC. Since 2011, Chris has written over 2,000 articles that have been read nearly one billion times—and that’s just here at How-To Geek. Read more…
The Xbox One has integrated TV features and support for streaming media apps like Netflix;and Hulu, but that isnt where it ends. You can play video and music files youve ripped or downloaded by plugging in a USB drive or streaming them over your local network.
This is made;possible by the Xbox Media Player app, which Microsoft released about nine months after the Xbox One was released. Sony also added a similar PS4 Media Player app to its console, so both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 offer this feature.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Beats To Xbox One
Set Your Home Console For Game Sharing
Now you can set your “home” console for a second user to access your licenses, while you make use of your online roaming profile on your own or on other Xbox consoles.
Navigate to the right using the joystick, until you find “All settings.”
Select My home Xbox using the “A” button.
That Xbox will be able to access your games whether you’re signed in or not. You can head back to the Guide menu, navigate to the left, and select your profile to sign out. Your games will remain accessible even when you sign in to another Xbox over the internet.
This is a great way to share licenses with family or friends, particularly if you have multiple consoles in the same house, and especially during some holiday downtime. Just be careful to keep your account details locked down to avoid unwanted purchases. Game on!
How Many Accounts Can I Gameshare With
At the moment you can only mark one console as your primary account the clue is in the name meaning this is only really available for two people to get the full perks.
Get involved in the conversation by heading over to our and pages. To stay up to date with the latest guides, news, and reviews, follow;The Loadout on ;and Steam News Hub.We sometimes include relevant affiliate links in articles from which we earn a small commission. For more information, click here.
You May Like: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
/ Download Your Friends Games
Once you have set the console as Home Xbox with your friends account. Log-out of his account and sign-in with your personal gamertag. When signed in with your own account, head over to My Games & Apps > Games and scroll to the far right. Here you will see all your friends games under the Ready to install section.
Select any game you want to install and let it download. You can enjoy all your friends digital games and vice versa.
Are There Any Limitations To Gameshare
There are very few limitations to Xbox gamesharing. Your friend will be able to play all of your games, and you can still make purchases and play your own games on any console youre logged into. When you make any such purchases, your friend immediately gains access to those games on their console, since its set as your home Xbox.
The main limitation to gamesharing is that you can only switch your home console five times per year. That means you cant just freely switch between friends and family members to share with, as youll quickly run out of your allotted switches, and youll be stuck with one home console for an entire year. Thats why its so important to choose carefully when setting up gameshare, and only share with people you really trust.
Recommended Reading: How To Hook Up Xbox 360