How To Connect Xbox Controller To Pc: Connect Via Xbox Wireless Adapter
While you will need to purchase an Xbox Wireless adapter separately, connecting your Xbox wireless controller to your PC is extremely simple using this accessory. Its the easiest way to set up your pad on a PC with a wireless connection. 1. Plug the Xbox Wireless adapter into a USB port. The adapter comes with a standard USB-A connector, so youll need a laptop that has one of these ports.2. Turn on your Xbox controller by holding the Xbox button. Once your controller is switched on, hold the sync button. This is located on top of the controller until the Xbox logo begins flashing.
3. Hold the sync button on the Xbox Wireless adapter for a few seconds. This button is located on either the side of the adapter or the base depending on which model you have. When the Xbox logo on your controller stops flashing and is lit up solid, then your controller is connected.
How To Connect Your Xbox One Controller To A Pc Via Usb
1. Grab your Xbox One wireless controller and connect a micro-USB charging cable into the top of the device.
2. Take the other end of the USB charging cable and plug it into your Windows 10 PC or laptop.
Your PC should configure the controller automatically.
You can connect up to eight Xbox Wireless Controllers simultaneously with USB charging cables. If you have Xbox Chat Headsets attached, you can only connect up to four controllers at a time. You can only connect two controllers at a time if the controllers use Stereo Headsets.
Pairing Is Quite Simple With Bluetooth
Even though instructions on the Xbox site are pretty simple and straightforward, things can still go wrong in a variety of different. The most common occurrence of connectivity issues forms in a way where the computer simply does not recognize the controller at all. Folks who have the Windows 10 installed with the latest updates were told how the controller is now plug and play which means you should only plug it in and begin using it without the need of any other actions. However, that is not the case most of the time and there are some steps you need to take to ensure quality gaming time.
Make sure that all drivers are installed. When you connect your Xbox One controller, Windows will start looking for the drivers and downloading them immediately and the same thing can be said to all supported versions of the operating system which includes Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7. However, make sure you didnt uninstall them by mistake in your Device Manager. There you will find an item called Microsoft Xbox One controller. Expand that item on the list, right-click, select Update Driver Software, and then click Search Automatically for Updated Software.
Recommended Reading: Can You Play Mortal Kombat 9 On Xbox One
How To Connect An Xbox One Controller To A Windows Pc
Heres how you can connect your Xbox One controller using a USB cord:
Step 1: Use a micro USB cable to connect your Xbox One controller to your PC.
Step 2: If you have a wireless controller, simply use your charging cable.
Step 3: If you have a wired controller, you can just plug it in like you would with your console.
Windows 10: You can have eight controllers connected at once. With chat headsets connected, that number decreases to four, and with stereo headsets, it drops to two.
Windows 7/8: You can only connect four controllers at once. No headset support.
Step 1: Purchase the Xbox Wireless Adapter.
Step 2: Connect Xbox Wireless Adapter to an open USB port on your PC. Complete the setup process for the adapter as outlined here.
Step 3: Press the Guide button on your controller to turn it on.
Step 4: Press and hold the Sync button on top of the controller until the Xbox logo begins flashing .
Step 5: Press and hold the small sync button on the adapter. The Guide button will flash faster while searching for the pair. Once the Xbox logo on the controller stops flashing and turns solid, youre good to go.
How To Connect Your Xbox One Controller Using Bluetooth
Some Xbox One controllers have built-in Bluetooth compatibility so you dont need any wires or adapters to connect. To find out if you can access Bluetooth, look at the logo. On Xbox controllers with Bluetooth, the plastic around the logo will connect to the central controller body. Yes, thats the way to tell. If this isnt the case, were very sorry, but youre out of luck.
The good news is that the Xbox One S comes with Bluetooth-compatible controllers, and the two are sold together. A good rule of thumb is that if you bought your controller in August 2016 or later, it probably has Bluetooth functionality. Check out the images below as an example.
- Not Bluetooth compatible
Step 1: Go to Settings on your PC and select Devices.
Step 2: Select the Bluetooth settings option to ensure that your Bluetooth is switched on. Remain on this menu.
Step 3: Push and hold the Guide button and then the Sync button on your controller. You should see the logo start to blink very fast.
Step 4: On your PC, select Add Bluetooth or Other Device, and click Bluetooth. Doing this instructs your PC to search for your controller.
Step 5: After your PC finds your controller and it pops up, choose Xbox Wireless Controller to complete the pairing process.
Read Also: How To Tether Phone Internet To Xbox One
How Do I Play My Xbox One On My Laptop With Hdmi Quick Guide
The new generation loves playing games, some people play games on the mobile ecosystem, and some love to play on big screens of TV, but it is not always possible to play games on TV by connecting your gaming console to it.
If you have an Xbox one then you can also connect it to your laptop or PC easily and this article will guide you to connect your TV with Xbox using HDMI port.
Things you will need for connection
- HDMI cable
Streaming Media Content To An Xbox Using Kodi
If youd prefer to use alternative media apps, then apps like Kodi can be installed on your Xbox. Kodi supports a full range of media playback options, including the ability to access network shares from a Windows PC or other network attached storage devices.
- On Windows, you can share any folder by right-clicking it and pressing Properties. In the Sharing tab, click to share the folder, ensuring you select your user account in the following window.
- In Kodi on your Xbox, youll need to enable network sharing using the SMB protocol used by Windows. To do this, open Settings > Add-ons > My add-ons > Virtual filesystems and select the SMB support option.
- In the plugin options window, press Enable to enable the plugin.
- With SMB enabled, you can now access Windows network shares from the Settings > File Manager menu in Kodi. From there, press Add Source.
- In the Add file source window, press Browse.
- In the Browse for new share window, select Windows network .
- A list of your network devices will appear. Find your PC listed here, then select the network share from the option list before clicking OK.
- If you need to provide a username and password to connect, select Add network location instead. Select Windows network from the Protocol drop-down menu, then select a location, username, and password using the options provided.
Read Also: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
Locating The Xbox One Controller In The Device Manager
If the drivers are fully updated, there is one solution that usually feels the most logical. It turns out that not every micro USB cable works for the controller and there is a specific type needed to be used. What causes the issue is the fact that certain micro USB cables only provide power transfer and they would work for Xbox 360. However, the Xbox One controller can only use the data sync cables which provide both power and data transfer. The prime example of this issue is the fact that you cant use the cable from your regular Xbox One controller to connect to your PC since there is no data being transferred.
This can make it difficult for users to find the perfect cable. The cable you want to use should be micro USB, type B, and it should be a data/sync cable so make sure you let the guy in the tech market know what you want. Also, if you must turn on the controller first and then plug in the cable to make it work. Moreover, do not plug into USB 3.0 ports.
Can You Connect An Xbox 360 Controller To A Pc
Yes, easily. If you have a wired controller, you just need to plug it into a 2.0 or better USB slot, and Windows will install needed drivers automatically. As we mentioned earlier, when explaining how to connect a wireless Xbox 360 controller to a PC, you need to plug in the xbox 360 wireless adapter receiver to install drivers, then connect the controller with a receiver.
Read Also: Xbox 360 Xfinity Wifi
How To Stream Your Pc To Your Xbox One
Any Windows 10 PC that can connect to Wi-Fi will support casting to a wireless display, but youll need to download a free app for the Xbox One.
- Navigate on the console to the Microsoft Store and download the Wireless Display app.
- Once the app is installed on the console, open it up. It will display a message saying that your console is now ready to be connected to your PC. The app also mentions a very helpful hint to keep in mind: the controller can switch between gamepad and keyboard / mouse control modes by pressing the menu and view buttons .
- Head over to your PC. Once youre ready to stream some content, press the keyboard combo Windows + P. Alternatively, you can click the bottom right corner to open the Action Center, then click on Quick Actions. Either way, the next screen will show your consoles name.
- From here, you can choose to extend whats on your PC monitor, duplicate it, or set the display on the Xbox One as your second screen. For my purposes, I set it as a duplicate so that my Xbox One display mirrored my PC monitor.
- Once youre connected, youll see a small, movable task bar located at the top of your PC monitor and your wirelessly connected TV. This lets you adjust the quality setting between gaming, working, or movie modes. During testing, it was tough to discern the difference in visual quality between the three. I found the gaming setting is best if youre solely playing PC games, as it has the least noticeable latency while using a controller.
Connect Your Xbox Controller To Pc With Bluetooth
Pairing the Xbox controller with your PC over Bluetooth is almost the same as pairing it with your Xbox One or Xbox Series. You activate the controller by holding down the Guide button, then hold the Pairing button for three seconds until the Guide button flashes. This means it’s in pairing mode. If you’re connecting the controller to a console, you hold the Pairing button on the system itself. If you’re connecting the controller to a Windows 10 PC, you need to go through some menus. You also need a Bluetooth USB dongle if your PC doesn’t have Bluetooth. Here’s the full step-by-step process:
Hold the Guide button to turn on the controller.
Hold the Pairing button for three seconds until the Guide button flashes.
Right-click the Bluetooth icon in your system tray.
You can now use the Xbox Wireless Gamepad with your PC, and play the vast majority of modern games that support controllers. However, you can’t use the headset jack on the gamepad, just like Sony’s DualShock 4 and DualSense controllers. Although you can use a wired gaming headset with a controller and its associated game system, audio isn’t sent through the jack when it’s connected to a PC via Bluetooth.
You May Like: Change Name Xbox Live
Windows Media Player 12
With Windows Media Player 12, in the Library, find the Stream option in the menu bar . Click Stream and select Turn on media streaming with HomeGroup. Make sure the Xbox is listed and the Allowed check box is checked .
If media streaming is not turned on, you receive a prompt. Once it is turned on, under Stream in Media Player, you can set up media streaming to your homegroup . You are required to set up a password for your homegroup, used to connect your Xbox to the homegroup and view media content on your computer.
How To Connect Your Xbox One Controller To A Pc Via Bluetooth
1. Power on your Xbox One wireless controller.
2. Press and hold the Bind and Xbox buttons on your controller for three seconds, and wait until the controller’s backlight or Xbox button begins to rapidly flicker.
3. Power up your PC, then head to “Settings,” then click “Devices” then “Bluetooth & other devices.”
4. Enable Bluetooth.
5. Select “Add Bluetooth or other device, and then either “Bluetooth” or “Everything Else.” After that’s clicked, your computer will begin searching for nearby Bluetooth devices currently on.
6. Select “Xbox Wireless Controller” or “Xbox Elite Wireless Controller” if you’re using an Elite controller. Windows will configure your controller so you can use it.
Read Also: Use Wireless Xbox Controller On Pc
How To Connect Other Game Controllers To Pc
Once you’re ready to start playing, check out our favorite PC games. And if you’re a PlayStation gamer, read up on how to use a PS4 DualShock 4 controller on a PC. We walk you through the surprisingly complicated process.
Like What You’re Reading?
Sign up for Tips & Tricks newsletter for expert advice to get the most out of your technology.
Connect Your Xbox One To Your Laptop Screen Via Hdmi Input
If you want to connect your Xbox One to a laptop screen, then your laptop must have an HDMI input. The issue with a lot of laptops is that they do have an HDMI connection, but it is usually an HDMI output. In short, this means that your laptop can transmit the image to an external monitor via the HDMI output, but no image signal can be transmitted from the outside to the laptop screen, an HDMI input is required for this purpose.
There are certainly notebooks with an HDMI input, but these are usually very expensive devices that very few people use. Nevertheless, you should check your laptop to see whether there is an HDMI input available. If you do have one available, then follow the steps below:
- Hook up your laptop and Xbox one with the HDMI input
- Access your laptops display settings if it does not automatically switch to mode.
- Access the System Settings menu on your Xbox 360 from the main menu. Configure the screen and resolution settings according to your preferences.
If you do not have an HDIM Input port in your laptop, and you still want to use this method, then read our guide on how to get HDMI input on your laptop.
Don’t Miss: How To Change Xbox Account Name
Connecting To Xbox Live
Once you have your internet working on the PC:
- Connect your Xbox to the PC using the LAN port on the PC
- Turn on the Xbox
- The connection may well fail at this point. This is OK
If this has not worked:
- Check all the cables are working and properly connected
- Edit the network settings on your Xbox:
- Go to IP and select Manual Settings
- For the IP address enter 192.168.*.20
- In subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0
- In default gateway enter 192.168.*.1
- In all the above cases, replace the * with the corresponding number in the IP address listed in the settings for the Network Bridge on the PC
Xbox Gameplay From Your Windows Pc
Now you know how to connect your Xbox to a Windows PC, you can take full advantage of the multimedia capabilities of both devices. Using the Xbox app, you can stream and control your Xbox from your PC, as well as stream other types of media content from your PC to your Xbox the other way.
For classic game fans, the Xbox gives you the perfect excuse to pick up the controller, with great backwards compatibility with older Xbox consoles. If youre a subscriber to Xbox Game Pass, you can even play your Game Pass games on PC, with access shared across your Microsoft account.
Ben Stockton is a freelance technology writer based in the United Kingdom. In a past life, Ben was a college lecturer in the UK, training teens and adults. Since leaving the classroom, Ben has taken his teaching experience and applied it to writing tech how-to guides and tutorials, specialising in Linux, Windows, and Android. He has a degree in History and a postgraduate qualification in Computing. Read Ben’s Full Bio
Don’t Miss: How To Make Updates Go Faster On Xbox One