Set Up Using The Xbox App On Your Phone
As we’ve stated before, the quickest method of setting up your Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S console is by using the new Xbox mobile app.
To download the new Xbox app, go to on your iOS or Android device and download the relevant version for your device.
Once the app is downloaded, launch it and select ‘set up a console’ or search for ‘set up’.
When prompted by the Xbox on screen, select that you want to set up your Xbox via the app – you should then have a code appear on your TV screen. When prompted by the app, enter the code shown on the TV screen and this should connect your mobile device to your Xbox.
You can then follow the steps in the app to set up your console and choose your settings etc – then your console will automatically start updating.
After the update is complete, you’ll be asked to set up your Xbox Wireless Controller. Hold the button on your controller until it turns on – and if you need to pair it then hold the small button on the top of the controller while holding the pairing button on the front of the Xbox.
After flashing for a bit, the light of the Xbox logo on the console should become one steady light. Follow the on-screen instructions to then set up your controller – there will be a controller update issued too.
How To Set Up An Xbox One
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 14 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. This article has been viewed 233,471 times.
Xbox One is the latest flagship console from Microsoft. Its capable of running your games, Internet, music, and even TV simultaneously. Setting it up for the first time is very easy.
Xbox Gameplay From Your Windows Pc
Now you know how to connect your Xbox to a Windows PC, you can take full advantage of the multimedia capabilities of both devices. Using the Xbox app, you can stream and control your Xbox from your PC, as well as stream other types of media content from your PC to your Xbox the other way.
For classic game fans, the Xbox gives you the perfect excuse to pick up the controller, with great backwards compatibility with older Xbox consoles. If youre a subscriber to Xbox Game Pass, you can even play your Game Pass games on PC, with access shared across your Microsoft account.
Ben Stockton is a freelance technology writer based in the United Kingdom. In a past life, Ben was a college lecturer in the UK, training teens and adults. Since leaving the classroom, Ben has taken his teaching experience and applied it to writing tech how-to guides and tutorials, specialising in Linux, Windows, and Android. He has a degree in History and a postgraduate qualification in Computing. Read Ben’s Full Bio
Read Also: How To See Coordinates In Minecraft Xbox One
Adjust Your Tv Settings For The Audio To Stream From The Soundbar
After you have physically connected your TV, Xbox One, and Soundbar using two different HDMI cables, you need to ensure that you have adjusted the TV settings for the audio to stream from the Soundbar. Otherwise, your TV might default and begin streaming the standard audio from the TV speakers.
Of course, this is not what you would be paying for in both resources and energy, so it is important to ensure that you do not miss this step. Fortunately, adjusting your TV settings is relatively simple with this type of audio/video input and output.
To do this, you will go to your TVs Settings options and ensure that the audio output option that you have selected is the Soundbar.
If you are using a wireless transmission for connecting your Soundbar, then you will skip the HDMI attachment but still ensure that this is where your audio is streaming for.
While you are messing with settings, you can also ensure that your Xbox One has been recognized as a media source. But, assuming your gaming system streams on the TV when you turn it on, this is a safe bet that it has been recognized, and you will not need to mess with anything on this part.
Connect Xbox One To Tv Via Hd Av Cable Tulip
It is the best way to connect xbox one to tv without hdmi. If you want to get Full HD then you should connect the set-top box via a component wire. This method is quite complicated to use, but nothing is impossible. What is the main difficulty? Perhaps, in the abundance of HD-AV cable connectors. However, if you really understand it, then there is nothing to worry about.
To connect a device to a TV, you need:
- Select the kit version. It will be either TV for screens below 480p, or HDTV for more modern and advanced devices.
- Based on the color of the plugs and sockets of the TV, you need to insert the first into the corresponding connectors. For older devices, red and white are used, as well as yellow plugs, but the latter does not apply to new TVs with Hi-Tech resolution.
- It remains only to connect the tulips to the console, where there is a socket with the corresponding marking.
What distinguishes this method from the previous one? The ability to connect a set-top box to an old TV receiver, which is definitely a plus. The signal quality is no worse, and allows you to enjoy all the colors and dynamics of video games.
You May Like: How To Connect Xbox To Hotspot
Connecting An Xbox To A Windows Pc Using The Xbox App
The Xbox Console Companion app gives you full control of your Xbox One console from your Windows PC. It allows you to start up or shut down your Xbox, stream Xbox games to your PC over your local network connection, install or remove games, as well as chat with your Xbox gaming friends.
The Xbox Console Companion app is installed on all Windows PCs, as part of Microsofts plan to further integrate the two services. If you have a local user account, youll need to sign in using your Microsoft account to use the appexisting Microsoft account users should find the app signs them in automatically.
- While the Xbox app is linked to your Microsoft account, it wont automatically connect to your Xboxyoull need to do this manually. To do this, press the Connection icon in the left-hand menu of the Xbox app on your PC.
- In the Connect to your Xbox One window, click the Add a device icon in the top-right.
- Windows will search for your Xbox One console automatically. If it detects it, press the Connect button. If you need to do this manually, type the IP address for your Xbox in the box provided, then press Connect to connect to it.
- If you cant connect, you may need to allow streaming connections in your Xbox settings. To do this, open your Xbox settings and go to Devices & Streaming > Device connections. Make sure that the Allow Play To streaming, Allow game streaming to other devices and Only from profiles signed in on this Xbox settings are selected or enabled.
Streaming Media Content To An Xbox Using Kodi
If youd prefer to use alternative media apps, then apps like Kodi can be installed on your Xbox. Kodi supports a full range of media playback options, including the ability to access network shares from a Windows PC or other network attached storage devices.
- On Windows, you can share any folder by right-clicking it and pressing Properties. In the Sharing tab, click to share the folder, ensuring you select your user account in the following window.
- In Kodi on your Xbox, youll need to enable network sharing using the SMB protocol used by Windows. To do this, open Settings > Add-ons > My add-ons > Virtual filesystems and select the SMB support option.
- In the plugin options window, press Enable to enable the plugin.
- With SMB enabled, you can now access Windows network shares from the Settings > File Manager menu in Kodi. From there, press Add Source.
- In the Add file source window, press Browse.
- In the Browse for new share window, select Windows network .
- A list of your network devices will appear. Find your PC listed here, then select the network share from the option list before clicking OK.
- If you need to provide a username and password to connect, select Add network location instead. Select Windows network from the Protocol drop-down menu, then select a location, username, and password using the options provided.
Recommended Reading: How To Add Xbox Friends On Ps4 Fortnite
What Do I Do If My Xbox One Wont Connect To The Internet
Plug the other end of the network cable into the back of your Xbox One console. Turn off the Xbox One console by holding the power button for 5 seconds. Unplug the power cord from the back of the modem. After 1 minute, plug the modem back in and wait for all of the lights to return to their normal state.
Streaming Media Content To An Xbox Using Microsoft Movies & Tv
While most users will probably be interested in connecting and controlling their Xbox to a PC for gameplay reasons, you can stream other media content to an Xbox using the PlayTo feature. This allows other PlayTo-capable apps to stream content from Windows to an Xbox .
- Youll need to make sure that PlayTo streaming is enabled first. To do this, open your Xbox settings and go to Devices & Streaming > Device connections, making sure that the Allow Play To streaming setting is enabled.
- In your Windows settings , press Devices > Bluetooth & Other Devices > Add Bluetooth or other device.
- In the Add a device menu, select your Xbox One console from the list once the scanning process has completed.
- Windows will confirm that a connection has been established. Click Done to confirm.
You can now stream content from the Microsoft Movies & TV media app. Youll need the same app installed on both your Xbox and PC for this to work.
- To do this in the Movies & TV app, press the three-dot menu icon in the bottom-right corner of the playback bar as youre playing content. From the options menu, click Cast to device.
- In the Connect menu, select your connected Xbox One console. This will open the Movies & TV app on your Xbox and stream the content from your PC for playback.
Recommended Reading: How To Install Mod Menu Gta 5 Xbox One
Connect To Your Network
To sync your Xbox One and your phone, both devices must be online. To check your network on the Xbox One, go to Settings> Network > Network Settings.
On your smartphone, go to the network/Wi-Fi menu in your devices system preferences or settings. If your Xbox One is not connected, select Set Up Wireless Network, choose your desired network, and enter the respective password when prompted. Both devices must be within the range of your network to connect.
Certain features, like using your phone as a remote control for the Xbox One, require both your Xbox One and phone to be connected on the same Wi-Fi network. Others, such as checking your achievements and activity feed, work as long as both devices are on an internet connection.
Control Your Xbox One With The App
While a real controller is always going to be the best way to control your Xbox One, its worthwhile to learn how to use your phone. Once youve successfully linked the two, the app on your phone will show a small symbol of a remote in the bottom right corner of your screen. Click this symbol, and youll immediately be transported to a black screen featuring four face buttons and a button for home, view, and menu.
Now youre ready to start controlling your Xbox One. All you have to do is drag your finger across the screen to pick a particular tile while simultaneously pushing down on the A button in the center of the screen to approve it. We dont think you will ever really use this function, but again, its good to know that you can.
Check out our handy guide that shows you how to connect your Xbox controller to your PC. We wouldnt leave that out.
Read Also: Sell Your Xbox 360
Hdmi Input Or Hdmi Output
The recent generation gaming console such as Xbox One, PS4 etc. supports a standard type of connection for transmitting audio and video signals to and from the console.
These connection are provided by using an HDMI. The HDMI input device is the TV and led, which receive audio and video signals from HDMI output devices such as gaming consoles and A/V recievers.
Whereas Laptop, on the other hand, has different types of connection some laptop has HDMI output, and some have HDMI input while some have both HDMI input or Output .
So, you have to find a suitable laptop that supports HDMI input source. The gaming laptop is ideal for this kind of connection.
How Do I Connect My Xbox One Controller To My Pc
In the Connections tab, press the Stream button to begin streaming the Xbox One console to your PC. Once youve established the stream, youll need to decide if you want to connect your Xbox One controller to your PC or continue to operate it from your Xbox. If your Xbox is a bit further away, you may wish to connect it to your PC.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect An Xbox To Hotel Wifi
How To Set Up Tv Integration On An Xbox One
To set everything up, open the OneGuide app on your Xbox One. The Xbox Ones TV features are located here and can be accessed from this app.
OneGuide may point you towards apps for service like YouTube and Netflix, but you can press the menu button and select Set Up Live TV if you arent prompted to.
Youll be prompted to set up a cable or satellite box, or a USB TV tuner. If you have a cable or satellite box, youll need to plug the HDMI cable from your cable or satellite box into the back of your Xbox One instead of directly into your TV. If you have a USB TV tuner, youll need to connect the USB tuner to one of the USB ports on your Xbox Oneeither one of the two on the front of the one on the sideand connect the antenna to that USB tuner.
After you do, youll select the Set up your cable or satellite box or Set up your USB TV tuner options.
If youre setting up a cable or satellite box, your Xbox One will attempt to find the HDMI input and prompt you to confirm it recognizes the correct device.
However, youre setting up over-the-air TV, youll be prompted to enter your ZIP code. OneGuide will then be able to find a local channel guide for your area, so it knows whats playing on your nearby channels. Then it will scan for nearby channels you can receive with a clear signal.
If the Kinect cant communicate with your home theater equipment, you may need an IR extension cable.
What Is Hdmi Input Or Hdmi Output
The latest generation gaming consoles use an HDMI cable for transmitting audio and video signals from the console to the screen. So is the case with Xbox one. Xbox one uses the HDMI cable for transmitting audio as well as video signals.
HDMI inputs are HD sources with are often attached to the source device or the so-called input device. Some examples are a High-Definition TV or an LCD.
Thus, the output source or the HDMI output is connected to Xbox One. The word output is used to signify the sending of output data or information to the HDMI input source .
Now the main thing to check is the type of connection your laptop supports. This will help while connecting the HDMI cable from Xbox to your laptop. If your laptop supports HDMI output port, it means you can only send HD audio and video data signals from laptop to the monitor. Mainly we can find gaming laptops which support HDMI output.
If your laptop does not have a HDMI support, you can still follow this process. For this we can use a VGA connection port. All that you would need is an HDMI to VGA converter.
Don’t Miss: How To Do Split Screen On Fortnite Ps4 2021
How To Set Up A Wireless Network On Xbox 360
Select your wireless network name. 1 Select the name of your wireless network. 2 Enter your wireless network password and select Done. The console will automatically try connecting to Xbox Live. 3 Select Configure Network. 4 On the Basic Settings tab, select Wireless Mode. 5 Select Scan for Networks. 6 Select your wireless network name.
How To Connect Xbox One To Laptop With Hdmi
The best and recommended method for connecting your Xbox One to laptop is by using HDMI cable. For this, you will need the following things to set up your Xbox one with a laptop correctly.
- HDMI cable
- Xbox One gaming console
- A laptop that supports HDMI connection
But before connecting the laptop via HDMI some other things need attention like the laptop limitation, laptop of different brands have different display and connection properties.
The second thing that is important and needs attention while connecting your laptop via HDMI is knowing the difference between HDMI input and HDMI output. We will briefly describe all these things for a smooth connection of your console and laptop.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Xbox Live To Hotel Wifi