Can You Share An Xbox Game Pass Subscription And Use It On Multiple Devices Will That Save You Money Find Out Everything You Need To Know Here
The Xbox Game Pass subscription service has been discussed by some as the gaming equivalent of Netflix. Subscribe, access a huge amount of content, rather than having to buy each individual game outright. Its a model which stands out in comparison to the offerings from its competitors. But one criticism of the Game Pass service, is that it doesnt currently offer anything like a family plan. This is where it is different from other subscription services, such as Netflix or Spotify, which allow one account to be shared between multiple users. While there isnt officially a family plan, is it possible to share your game pass with your family? And does Game Pass work on more than one device? Well answer these questions, so you know exactly what you can and cant do, with a Game Pass subscription.
How Do I Stop Xbox One Gamesharing
Now all you need to do to stop game sharing on your Xbox is to set up your console as your home console. Assuming you are connected to the internet, Microsoft will remove any other console as your console.
This will prevent anyone from using any of your games using the game sharing method. This is useful if you have fallen out with your friend/family member who you initially game shared your games with, and dont want them to access your game library anymore.
Precautionary Points That Should Be In Your Mind While Game Sharing
- When you are logging in with your Microsoft account to your friends Xbox, you are actually giving them access to the saved credentials of your credit cards. If the person is just a stranger, he could buy add-ons and games using your credit card and you would have a bunch of extra charges before you knew what they were from. One of the easy things that you can do is disable the auto-sign in a feature on your Xbox and never share your credentials with strangers online!
- The process of game sharing is possible only with digital games. If you prefer owning physical copies of the games, then, in that case, the game sharing process wouldnt work. The physical games come in a disc and you would have to take those discs over to your friends house to share them that way.
- In the future Microsoft could block game sharing. Although game sharing is still allowed by Microsoft, that can change anytime they want. If you are going to purchase a game and one of your friends specifically wants it, you should split the cost of the game in case game sharing is ever banned. This makes sure that you and your friend are neither upset that one person always has to buy the games.
- Make sure you practice the process of game sharing with only the friends you trust. It also helps if you have known them for a very long time. Do not do it with anyone and everyone to try and get cheap games. It can put your account at risk and they might also abuse your account.
Don’t Miss: Xbox Remote Play Chromebook
Why Xbox Game Pass For Households Is Needed
Xbox Game Pass is all about improving access to games, lowering the traditional barrier that comes with buying a console or a gaming PC. For many, spending hundreds on a video game console just isn’t something worth considering, which is why mobile gaming has become such a popular industry. People are willing and interested in gaming, as long as the barrier to entry is low enough. If they can game on their existing devices, at a low cost, the friction surrounding the Xbox ecosystem is reduced. Therein lies the whole ideology of Xbox Game Pass and its cloud streaming component.
For parents who have multiple kids, the cost of Xbox Game Pass rises exponentially.
Microsoft has robust family controls and features, but they fall apart if you’re having to sign in to your account to give your kids access to Xbox Game Pass from your profile. A family or household Xbox Game Pass plan would solve a lot of these needless issues, even if it was only allowed for child accounts.
Beyond giving your kids easy access, there’s just a question of value there potentially. It’s odd that I can easily share Netflix or Spotify with family members within my household, but I can’t do the same with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. Why might this be? I could be a question of licenses and the remaining power of retail.
Now Youre Ready To Gameshare
Being able to share games in this way is perfect for family homes. If youre looking to set your child up with their own console, combining this service with parental controls makes it easy to give little ones instant access to a large catalog of titles.
You can even gameshare Xbox One titles between a Series X and the past-generation device.
If you have a friend with their own Xbox Series X, setting up gamesharing means you can take turns buying the latest titles, so we shouldn’t underestimate the money-saving appeal. All round, gamesharing is an excellent feature.
Read Also: Gta V Usb Mod Menu Ps3
The Steps Involved To Game Share On The Xbox
You can also watch this video which will show you how to game share on the Xbox One or you can read the steps below.
- Find the trusted person with whom you would want to share the digital games. Get their Xbox Live login information to safely sign in.
- Next, you need to press the Xbox button on the controller, which will open the guide for you. Then you need to scroll over to the player icon and select the icon add new.
- You will get an option to fill in the credentials where you need to input your friends email address and password that he uses for his Xbox account.
- Now, scroll back to the account tab and sign in to your friends account if it doesnt sign them in automatically.
- After logging in successfully open the guide again by pressing the Xbox button and move on to the gear tab to select the option of settings.
- Now follow this path. General> Personalization> My home Xbox, select Make this my home Xbox.
- After this is done, you can visit My games and apps from your account and home screen and you will be able to view and access all the games that your friends console has. Switch over to the tab of Ready to install to download the games that you havent yet downloaded.
- Your friend should follow the same steps to access the games available on your account so that both of you can game share on Xbox using your own individual accounts.
How Does Gamesharing Work On Xbox Series X Or S
Gamesharing works based on the way that Xbox consoles handle digital purchases. When you purchase and download a game to your console, other users of that console are also able to play that game even if they arent logged into your account. This is possible because every Xbox user is able to set one Xbox as their home console, where downloaded games are available to everyone who has access to that console.
In addition to being able to access games that you have purchased on your home console, you can also download and play them on any other Xbox by signing into your account. When you do that, only you are able to play those games: other users of the Xbox will receive an error message if they try to play.
Gamesharing takes advantage of this by having you set your friends Xbox Series X or S as your home console. You can then log out of that console, allowing them to sign into their own account, then download and play any game you have purchased. You then sign back into your own Xbox, which is no longer your home console. Since youre logged in, you can download and play your games there.
Don’t Miss: Blueray On Xbox 360
What Is Gameshare On Xbox One
Before we cover Xbox One gamesharing, we should explain what gamesharing really is. Simply put, gamesharing allows you to access a friend’s Xbox One game library on your own system at any time.
Read more: The Best Xbox One Exclusives to Play Today
Anyone signed into an Xbox One can access their entire library of digital games on that console. However, other accounts on the same system cannot play those games. That means if a friend comes over, you can play their games on your Xbox when signed into their account. But after they leave and sign out of their account, you can’t use those games.
However, the Xbox One has a setting called home Xbox. This allows you to designate a single Xbox One system as your primary console. Anyone signed into this home console can access all the digital games you own. By switching home Xbox systems with a friend, you each gain access to the other’s entire library. This allows you each to play games that the other owns while signed into your own account.
That’s what gamesharing on Xbox One actually is. Now let’s look at how to gameshare on an Xbox.
Xbox Series X: How To Game Share On Xbox How Many People Can You Game Share With
Sharing Is Caring.
Gamesharing is a pretty simple premise.
Essentially the feature allows you and a friend to share each other’s digital library of games with one another.
You don’t even need to be online at the same time or sat in the same physical location.
A perfect money-saving solution for the post COVID world we now live in.
So if you’re interested in making use of this excellent feature on your new Xbox Series X or Series S, read on.
In this guide we’ll explain how to do the following:
Read Also: Can Blu Ray Play On Xbox 360
Setting Up A Home Xbox
To understand how Xbox gameshare works, you have to understand what a home Xbox is. Your home Xbox is the Xbox console you choose that doesnt require your Xbox Live profile to be signed in on an active internet connection. So for the purposes of gamesharing, your home Xbox becomes the one that houses the shared version of your account. So make sure it’s someone you trust.
The first step to this requires you to access the Xbox console that’s going to enjoy the benefits of your shared account. For some people, this might require giving a friend access to your account information so they can sign you in on their Xbox console.
Then, on that same second console, you need to head into the Xbox Settings menu, General, Personalization, and finally My home Xbox. Only one account can claim a particular console’s “home Xbox” status at a time, so when you enable it for this secondary account, it will automatically disable the home Xbox status for any other account the console is tied to. Once its enabled, all of your games, including Xbox Game Pass games, will be available to download and play for any profile on the home Xbox. Theyll also get the benefits of Xbox Live Gold multiplayer if you have an active subscription.
In simpler terms: The goal here is essentially to give a friend or family member your “home Xbox” status, which means they can sign into their account on that console and access any games or features that belong to you. But that creates an inescapable catch….
How To Gameshare On The Xbox Series X
If you want to share your Xbox Series X games with a friend, you can with Gameshare. Here’s how.
Gamesharing is a fantastic incentive that makes digital purchases a better value prospect. It allows you to share games between two consoles while only paying for the title once.
Whether you live in a home with more than one Xbox system or you want to take turns buying games with a friend, its a great way to save money over a long-term basis.
This article will show you exactly how to gameshare on your Xbox Series X. Well explain every step of the process and highlight a few things worth knowing before you set it up.
Don’t Miss: Xbox 360 Mods With Usb
Can You Have Two Profiles On Ps5
You can only have one PSN account active on your PS5 at a time, but you can have multiple user accounts on the same console and switch between them easily. This makes for a convenient way to share the console with family and friends. Maybe you have kids and you want them all to have their own user profiles.
Can You Get Banned For Game Sharing On Xbox
This is the most asked question and the answer is No, You will not face any ban for game sharing.
Microsoft knew that people will be game sharing with each other. This will affect their sales but they also knew that buying a game twice is not good.
So they allowed only one device to game share one console at a time. You can switch your Home Xbox only 5 times a year, so be sure with the last one.
But if you get reported for looking for Game share buddy on forums then you might get banned. Use this feature with your friend or siblings and everything will be good.
You May Like: How To Change Your Profile Picture On Xbox
Can I Share My Subscription With My Family
As we mentioned above, no family plan exists at the moment. Phil Spencer has publicly stated that this is something theyd like to do. There would undoubtedly be commercial concerns around making it profitable for 3rd party game developers. But for families that have more than one Xbox, or kids off at university, a family plan would be a great idea.
Until such times as that becomes a reality however, sharing your Game Pass is difficult to do. Unless you share your Xbox profile username and password then the Game Pass is intended for the original subscriber only. It would undoubtedly create problems if you attempted to sign in from two different locations at once. The only other way to share your pass is to make use of the home Xbox feature that we alluded to earlier.
There you have it. At the moment, Xbox Game Pass is a great value proposition for an individual. But if you are planning to buy one subscription and share it among multiple people, youre going to struggle. The current alternative is to buy a separate subscription for each account. Not the cheapest option, but potentially still better value than buying individual games on a regular basis.
Does Xbox One Game Sharing Work With All Games
If youre looking for a negative with Xbox game sharing you wont find one. If you successfully game share with a friend you will have access to all their games.
This includes titles from subscription services such as Game Pass/EA Access Vault & Games With Gold assuming your account still has an active subscriptions
Read Also: Can Xbox 360 Play 4k Ultra Hd
How Many Accounts Can I Gameshare With
At the moment you can only mark one console as your primary account the clue is in the name meaning this is only really available for two people to get the full perks.
Get involved in the conversation by heading over to our and pages. To stay up to date with the latest guides, news, and reviews, follow The Loadout on and Steam News Hub.We sometimes include relevant affiliate links in articles from which we earn a small commission. Any stated prices are correct at the time of publication. For more information, click here.
Jake has been writing about games, technology, and esports for a decade, which he loves. He is better at this than writing about himself, which he does not. You can find his words on PCGamesN, Eurogamer, and more.
Xbox Xcloud: How Does Game Pass Streaming Work
Microsoft is about to launch a games-streaming service that will let subscribers play top-end Xbox games on a mobile phone.
It is, in essence, a Netflix-style service for video games, which many experts think will be the future of gaming.
But the hefty monthly fee and the fact that it will not work on Apple’s iPhones could be stumbling blocks for the experiment.
Read Also: Setting Up A Xbox Live Account
Things To Be Aware Of When Game Sharing On Xbox One
While sharing your games library with a friend is brilliant, there are some downsides and potential risks. We’ve got the main points to consider:
- Only share with a trusted friend – this one might seem obvious, but as you’re essentially handing your account to another person, make sure that person isn’t likely to abuse the account.
- Microsoft could block game sharing – while Microsoft has allowed game sharing for a long time, it’s possible that it could be blocked in the future. Try to split game purchasing evenly so if access is ever blocked both parties will have an equal share of games on their profile.
- Game sharing is digital only – If you like owning physical copies of games, this isn’t going to work well with game sharing. Physical games that come on disc will only work on the console the disc is inserted into.
- Limited to two people – Game sharing on Xbox One is limited to two people: you and your friend. You can’t share your account with more than one person. Your account’s home Xbox can be changed five times each year, so if you change who you’re sharing with you have some breathing room to change your mind.
That’s all the info you need to know about game sharing on Xbox One and Xbox One X. Follow these steps and you and a friend will suddenly find themselves with much larger libraries of games.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. See our terms & conditions.