How To Connect Other Controllers
Like What You’re Reading?
Sign up for Tips & Tricks newsletter for expert advice to get the most out of your technology.
How To Connect An Xbox One Controller To Your Windows 10 Pc
– As gaming technology develops and gaming platforms expand to the point of being available on all manner of devices with services like Xbox Game Pass and Stadia , it’s important that you have a method to play those games that you’re comfortable with. For Xbox gamers, that’s the Xbox Wireless Controller.
If you prefer playing with a controller over a keyboard and mouse, either because you find it easier, or because your laptop’s keyboard doesn’t have enough key travel or feedback, you’ll want to continue using your Xbox controller on your PC too.
It’s worth noting your process depends on whether you have Bluetooth on your desktop or laptop Windows 10 machine, and whether or not you have the newer wireless controllers or the older model.
That’s an important distinction because the older wireless controller – with shiny plastic around the ‘X’ home button – doesn’t have Bluetooth, and can only pair to a dedicated receiver.;
Fear not if you have this controller – or a laptop without Bluetooth – we’ll show you how to use your controller this way too. If you want to connect your Xbox controller to your smartphone, we show you how to do that in a separate guide.;
How Do I Connect My Xbox 360 Controller To My Pc Via Usb
If you are using a wired Xbox 360 controller, plug the USB connector of your Xbox 360 controller into a USB port on your computer. If you are using a wireless controller, insert the USB connector of your Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver into a USB port on your computer.
You May Like: How To Take Off Parental Controls On Xbox
Press The Pair Button
After the controller is turned on, press and hold the Pair button. This button is located on the top of the controller, close to the USB charge port.
Now that you know what this button is actually for, press and hold it for 3 seconds until the Xbox button in the middle of the controller begins to rapidly flash. This is the signal that your controller is ready to be paired.
How To Connect An Xbox One Controller To A Pc
The preferred method of play for shooter and strategy games is to use a computer mouse and keyboard. However, there are a few instances where having a controller is ideal. Titles such as Immortals Fenyx Rising;and Assassins Creed Valhalla,;although playable with a keyboard and mouse, are more intuitive with an Xbox controller. To help, well walk you through connecting your Xbox One controller to your PC so you can play Xbox games on Windows.
Luckily, Xbox is a Microsoft product, which makes it possible for a Windows computer to support an Xbox One controller without too much of a struggle. The plug-and-play support makes it easy to connect your Xbox One controller and get started with little to no additional configuration. Its one of the best controllers for PC gaming, and with the launch of the Xbox Series X, you can snag one for cheap.
Read Also: How To Factory Reset Xbox One S
Connect An Xbox Controller To Your Pc Via Wireless Adaptor
Connecting your Xbox controller to your PC via an adaptor isn’t much harder than using a wired connection, but it does incorporate a few more steps. The process isn’t all that different from syncing an Xbox controller to a console, so if you’ve done that before, you have an idea of what to do here.
As an added note: This process won’t work with Xbox 360 controllers. You’ll need an Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S controller to make this work.
To connect an Xbox controller via an adaptor, you’ll need an adaptor–specifically, the Microsoft Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10. It will plug into a USB port on your PC.
Here’s what you do:
How To Connect Xbox One Controllers To Pc Using The Xbox Wireless Adapter
Windows 10 is all set and ready to work with the Xbox Wireless Adapter. Drivers will automatically install when the device is connected, so the process is largely simplified
- Step one: Connect the Xbox Wireless Adapter to your Windows PC and allow the drivers to automatically install.
Try to ensure where the adapter is connected to your PC provides line of sight to the controller for the best connectivity.
- Step two: Power up your Xbox One controller by pressing the Xbox logo in the center of the controller.
- Step three: Locate and press the button on the Xbox Wireless Adapter
- Step four: Press the connect button on your Xbox One controller. It can be found on the front of the device near the micro USB port. Its marked by a symbol that looks like this: “(((“
- Step five: Ensure the Xbox logo on your controller is blinking. This indicates it is connecting. When the logo and LED on the USB adapter both go solid, the connection is complete.
- These are the best PC games to play with your newly connected controller
Also Check: Gta 5 Police Mod Download Xbox One
How To Use A Wireless Xbox 360 Controller On A Pc
BySherri L. Smith26 August 2013
While most PC gamers use the traditional tools of the trade , certain game genres work better with a controller. Sure, you could spend $19.99-$89.99 on a PC-exclusive game controller, but why waste money when you can use your Xbox 360’s controllers on any Windows computer? Install a wired controller is easy enough, as the drivers normally download automatically, but connecting a wireless game pad ;requires a bit more work.
To connect to a wireless Xbox 360 controller, you need to first invest in the HDE Wireless Receiver for Xbox 360 or the Komodo Wireless Gaming Receiver, both of which are available on Amazon for $13.49 and $10.94 respectively. For this how-to, we went with the HDE model in tandem with the MSI GS70. After you’ve purchased the wireless receiver, follow these steps to get your wireless Xbox 360 controller running on your PC.
1. Plug the wireless receiver into an available USB port. The PC will act like it is installing drivers but there are a couple of more steps.
2. Visit Microsoft.com and download the most recent driver for the Xbox 360 Controller for PC.
3. Install the driver.
4. Go to Device Manager, right click Unknown Device under the Other Device header and select Update Driver Software.
5. Select the Browse my computer for the driver software option.
7. Choose the Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer option.
8. Scroll down and select Xbox 360 Peripherals and click the Next button.
Connect An Xbox Controller To Your Pc Via Bluetooth
Connecting your Xbox controller via Bluetooth requires the most steps, but it’s also the only method that doesn’t ask you to buy anything other than the controller–no cables or adaptors are needed. That said, you will need to buy a specific controller.
This method will not work for Xbox 360 or original Xbox One controllers. You will need an Xbox One controller that entered production alongside the Xbox One S or an Xbox Series X|S controller. So basically no Xbox controllers that were made prior to August 2016.
The easiest way to know whether you have an Xbox controller that supports Bluetooth is to read the supported features listed on the side of the box it came in. If you no longer have the box, you can tell just by looking at how the controller is designed. The original Xbox One controllers have a larger plastic molding along the top. The newer Xbox One controllers and Xbox Series X|S controllers incorporate bumpers with a wider click range and feature a smaller top plastic molding.
Here’s what you do:
Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email
Also Check: How To Get Gta Mods On Xbox One
More Information On Connecting An Xbox One Wireless Controller To A Pc
The steps in this article provide the method for connecting your Xbox One controller to your PC. Creating this connection does not automatically connect your Xbox to your PC. If you are trying to take advantage of the integrations that these devices have, however, then there isnt really much extra that you need to do.
Windows 10 has an Xbox app that you can use to connect to your Xbox One over your local network. This even lets you do stuff like stream from your Xbox to your Windows 10.
The method that we discuss in this article for connecting your Xbox One controller to your PC may only be necessary if you arent able to do it the easier way. This involves clicking the Windows button at the bottom left of the screen, clicking the gear icon, then selecting the Devices option. From there you can click the Bluetooth & Other Devices tab and select the Bluetooth or other device option.
As with the other methods we discuss, you will need to put the Xbox One controller into pairing mode by pressing the pairing button on the top of the controller.
If you have a regular Xbox wireless controller from the Xbox 360, then you may still be able to connect it to Windows 10. However, you will need the Xbox 360 wireless adapter, which is a little tougher to come by. This link has the Xbox 360 controller and its corresponding adapter.
How To Connect An Xbox Controller To A Pc: Use A Cable
Before we get into the steps, its important to note that this method of connecting an Xbox wireless controller to a PC is slightly different depending on what Xbox controller you are using. Xbox Series X, Xbox Elite Series 2 and Xbox Adaptive controllers require a USB-C cable, whereas the older Xbox One pad uses a Micro-USB cable.;
1. Plug a cable into your Xbox controller and PC. Whether youre using a USB-C or Micro-USB cable plug one end into your controller and the other into your PC.
2. With your controller and PC now tethered, press the Xbox button on the controller to switch the pad on.;
3. Now that your controller is connected and switched on, allow Windows to install the necessary drivers. This shouldnt take very long and is a one-and-done process. Next time you connect your controller to your PC you wont need to go through this step. Your controller is now connected. ;;
Read Also: Change Gamertag On Xbox App
If You Have Bluetooth And The Newest Xbox One Wireless Controller
In the perfect scenario, you have a laptop and an Xbox wireless controller which both have Bluetooth, and so all you need to do is to pair them. Open up Windows 10’s start menu and find ‘Settings’.;
- Select ‘Bluetooth and other devices’
- Select ‘Bluetooth’
At this point, your laptop or desktop will start searching the nearby area for available Bluetooth devices in pairing mode. So power on your Xbox controller and put it into pairing mode.;
- Press and hold the ‘X’ home button for a couple of seconds until it lights up
- Press and hold the small pairing button on the top edge
- Your ‘X’ home button should start flashing on and off
With your Xbox controller light blinking, that means it’s in pairing mode and it should show up in that list of available devices on your Windows 10 PC. Simply click on the Xbox wireless controller in that devices list, and within a second or two it’ll be connected and the light on behind the ‘X’ will be solid.
Wired Or Wireless Here’s How To Get Gaming
If you’re trying to game on PC and prefer a controller over mouse and keyboard, you have the option to use an Xbox One controller. And, since Windows 10 natively supports the Xbox One controller, setup is incredibly easy.
However, the way you connect your controller to your PC may vary a little bit depending on which type of Xbox One controller you have and what method you want to connect.;
We’ll provide instructions for connecting using USB, Bluetooth and Microsoft’s wireless dongle. When it comes to Bluetooth, we’ll also help you figure out whether your controller supports it, as many Xbox One controllers don’t.
Also Check: Will Xbox 360 Play Blu Ray
How To Connect Xbox Controller To Pc: Connect Via Xbox Wireless Adapter
While you will need to purchase an Xbox Wireless adapter separately, connecting your Xbox wireless controller to your PC is extremely simple using this accessory. Its the easiest way to set up your pad on a PC with a wireless connection. ;1. Plug the Xbox Wireless adapter into a USB port. The adapter comes with a standard USB-A connector, so youll need a laptop that has one of these ports.2. Turn on your Xbox controller by holding the Xbox button. Once your controller is switched on, hold the sync button. This is located on top of the controller until the Xbox logo begins flashing.;
3. Hold the sync button on the Xbox Wireless adapter for a few seconds. This button is located on either the side of the adapter or the base depending on which model you have. When the Xbox logo on your controller stops flashing and is lit up solid, then your controller is connected. ;
The Official Bundle: Expensive But Headache
If you dont mind paying a premium then the most frustration-free and guaranteed-to-work method is to buy the official Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows bundle. Despite the Xbox 360 getting a little long in the tooth, you can still find official Xbox 360 For Windows controller packs both on the shelves at many electronics retailers, online, and directly from Microsoft. And hey, if you only need the USB receiver,;you can always sell the controller;on Craigslist and try to get your money back.
The MSRP of the official bundle $59.95, and youll usually find it at close to that price at places like Best Buy. If you can find it cheaper from a reputable retailer, then by all means jump on it. If you must shop;on Amazon, be sure youre buying a product marked fulfilled by Amazon and be ready to return it if it ends up that the product is not an official model.
Recommended Reading: How To Find Someones Ip Adress On Xbox
How To Connect An Xbox One Controller To A Windows Pc
To help you play all of your favorite PC games;with your favorite Xbox One controller, weve put together this simple step-by-step walkthrough. Before we begin, you should know that there are three ways to do this: USB, wireless, or Bluetooth. You should also make sure your controller is updated with the latest Firmware.
You might also like How to connect a PS4 controller to a PCand How to connect Nintendo Switch controllers to a PC
Connecting With An Official Microsoft Wireless Dongle
Microsoft sells official wireless dongles for Windows PCs that can connect Xbox controllers to computers without built-in WiFi. If you have an older controller that cant connect to a PC with Bluetooth, then this option will allow you to play with your controller wirelessly as well, regardless of the model.
To connect the controller to your PC, follow these simple steps.
- Plug the wireless dongle into a free USB slot on your PCthe dongle will automatically install everything it needs on the PC.
- Press the wireless button on the dongle.
- Press the three bind button on your controllerthe devices should then connect.
- If youre having issues, open up the Settings menu and find Devices on your PC.
- Choose Add Bluetooth or other device.
- Select Everything else.
Don’t Miss: How To Check Xbox One Ip Address